Definition and Introduction
As per Wikipedia, the most reliable source on internet, simple model of antenna works as a transmitter which is used to receive or send the electromagnetic signals. This reception booster captures the electromagnetic waves from environment and converts it into analog signals and vice versa. It makes the antenna or reception booster quite important in radio transmissions – the most common uses of antennae are television broadcasting, radio transmission and wireless technology.
According to applications and technology used – antennae are categorized into two categories:
1. Directional or beam antennae – which are particular and receive from or radiate to a specific direction or pattern.
2. The Omni-directional antennae – which radiate and receive signals from and to all directions, and which are good to use in remote areas. Where signals are arbitrarily or not clear where the radio or transmitting station is at quite distance, or even where there is need to cut costs and where directional antennae are not required.
Automotive Antennae and Boosters
Automotive radio antenna/boosters are useful as they help to improve the radio reception inside our cars. Many people listen to the news in the morning times through car radios as they travel to work or to their daily assignments. Due to their busy schedules, it becomes very convenient listening news while on the go rather than in the house. Most people do not also have time to for the newspaper or television therefore car radio is the most convenient. Others, mainly those in public service transport have no choice, but to catch the latest news while working -ferrying customers from one place to the other. This makes the car radio a very integral and vital part of these people’s lives.
As a result of technological advancements, radios are shunned and in their place CDs, iPods, iPads, and media players are glorified. However, radios are still very useful especially in cars to provide entertainment and up to date information that one would not get easily and conveniently from other media while driving.
The AM & FM Radio
In primitive times, the AM radio was the only technology available. The AM had poor frequency characteristics, limited bandwidth, and sensitivity towards natural and man-made noise, which led to poor transmissions and reception. The introduction of the FM radio brought great improvement in sound systems and frequencies, with dynamic ranges and less noise. Thus, you will find that most automobiles have both AM & FM radio receptions, with the latter been the choice for a majority of people.
However, car radios still continue to have poor reception because most of the radio waves bounces off the surface of cars and interfere with smooth transition, hence the reason most people are looking for radio antenna boosters to boost reception in their vehicles. As a response to this need, many companies and businesses offer these products to the market. However, it is good to be keen to the fact that, as much as the market is flooded with all makes of boosters and antenna’s only a certain number are good quality.
It is important to note that highly priced antennas/boosters do not necessarily mean better quality, while buying cheap could also compromise on the quality. It is very important thing here to focus on the quality despite the price and aim for a middle ground in terms of price, so that you get a quality product within the range of your budget.
Another major contributor to poor automobile radio reception is Location – some areas are simply out of reach of a radio station and the farther one gets from the station, the farther away from good reception. Also, if the car is packed outside tall buildings or inside the basement parking of a building, it could lead to poor reception and interferences.
This problems with radio reception in cars, has made it imperative, for car owners who want to enjoy listening radios inside their vehicles, to get good antenna boosters. Once the purchase of the antenna booster has been done, the car owner should then look for an expert to do the wiring and connections of the antenna in vehicle. This way; with the right quality antenna/booster and the expert, the radio reception will improve tremendously. The expert will also help one to identify any malfunctioning with the stock antenna or tuner installed in the car, because if these are of low quality or further repairing required, then despite installing the antenna, the problems will persist.
According to e-how.com, it is important to abide by the following instructions are followed while changing or installing the antenna booster for your car:
1. Change the car antenna, as an aftermarket antenna could produce high quality reception as compared to the manufacturers.
2. The antenna should be installed as far away from the engine as possible, as the engine’s electrical discharge can cause interference.
3. A signal booster should also be installed with the radio or amplifier to increase range.
4. Install a high-definition radio tuner as it has diversity tuning component that allows one to alter between two antennae depending on their best reception performance at particular moments.
5. Any booster or amplifier should be installed far away from the antenna for avoiding interference between the two, which may lead to low reception.
6. All the route cables should keep away from the engine, power amplifies, power wires and other similar devises.
7. The antenna should be placed at a metal spot that has no paint or corrosion properties, and coat the exposed metal with silicone glue or grease.
In conclusion, it is important to note that the automotive radio antenna or booster is a key component in radio transmission especially in cars, as it allows far better quality and clear communication, and makes the car a very friendly companion for the person driving it. This goes to show that despite the advent of other more advanced means of communication – the iPods, iPads, messengers etc, that the radio remains relevant and there is no indication of it losing its importance in the near future.
Welcome back my friends to a show that never ends, look inside, look inside at the ultimate Street Rod Shop tour at Jeff Lilly Restorations. Taking the Car Building world by storm one project at a time.